This document provides various troubleshooting tips for resolving issues with Crayola Virtual Design Pro products. If additional information is required, please call 800-CRAYOLA (800-272-9652) 9 AM until 4 PM EST, Monday through Friday.
Troubleshooting for Virtual Design Pro Products on Apple Devices:
General technical suggestions for all devices:
- Close any open apps running in the background. When you exit an app, it doesn’t close, it stays suspended. Too many open apps can bog down the system. (Press the home button twice quickly then swipe up to close the open apps. This closes suspended apps but does not delete them.)
- Restart the device. This is like rebooting a computer. (Hold power key on top edge of device down until you get icon to slide and power off. Once off, wait a moment and the hold power key down again to power on.)
- Uninstall and re-download the app to ensure it downloaded properly. (Touch and hold on the app icon until it begins to shake. Tap the “X” to delete the app.)
Q. I can’t scan the key code. The camera is not working.
A. If you cannot unlock the app or view anything through the camera on the unlock screen (the center of the screen is black with a gray square), the issue may be in the camera setting. Try the following troubleshooting:
1) Confirm there is nothing blocking the device’s camera and the camera is working properly otherwise.
2) Check the privacy settings on the iPhone/iPod/iPad. (Go to Settings > Privacy > Camera to turn on the permissions for the app to use the camera.)
**Technical explanation: The app will prompt the user for access to the camera the first time they use it. If for some reason “No” was selected, this might be cause the issue. Turning off the camera permissions will make a blank area appear where the camera view should be on the unlock page of the app.**
Q. I can’t line up the boxes to scan the template.
A. Set the booklet on a lower surface, such as a chair. The device needs to be held flat to scan the keys properly.
Q. Is my device compatible with the program?
A. Verify the device supports the app at http://www.crayola.com/appcheck.
Q. The app is crashing/closing on iOS (Apple operating system):
A. An app will crash when the device is running out of memory. How much space is available on the device? Is there enough memory to run the app? (Go to Settings > General > About > Available --- Example: 3.3 GB)
**Technical explanation: Generally what causes all crashes is not enough memory left to run the app. We test and optimize all compatible devices, but there must be something that is causing the device to have less memory available. When the memory maximum is met, the app closes.**
Q. I am using a compatible device. When I try to email more template designs so we can print them, I receive the following message: Emailing is currently unavailable. WiFi is connected and functioning.
A. This email error appears when the app cannot access the default email account on the device. Make sure an email account is set up on the device. The easiest way to check is to "tap" on the Mail app. If it shows options to set up an email account, an account is not currently set up.
The only way the app can send an email is by using the built in mail service in iOS, which needs to be set up by the user. The email account is not specific to the My Virtual Fashion Show app, it is used across the entire iPhone.
Q. We are having difficulty printing our templates from an iPhone.
A. It sounds like the printer is not set up to print the templates correctly from the iPhone. It could also be running low on ink. iPhones and iPads have very limited print options. We recommend emailing the template to a computer.