In just a few quick steps, customize your own box of Crayola Crayons, create an Art Case, or draw your own Stuffed Animal. It's easy and fun!
Welcome to CRAYOLA MELTDOWN! Get the Crayola Meltdown Art Set for an all-in-one melted crayon art activity! Or, if you’d like to create melted crayon art with your own supplies follow the instructions below.
CAUTION: This activity involves melting Crayola Crayons. Melted crayon wax may be hot to the touch. Adult supervision is required. Not recommended for children younger than 8 years old.
1. Find an appropriate workspace, preferably one where you can be a bit messy. Most garages or work rooms will do.
2. Set up near an electrical outlet as a handheld hairdryer is needed for this activity.
3. Cover your work surface with recycled newspaper, a paper bag or a drop cloth.*
4. Use double-sided foam tape to attach the Crayola Crayons to the canvas board.**
5. Prop up your canvas so that melting crayon wax drips down the canvas board.
6. Gently warm the crayons with the hairdryer held 1 to 3 inches away from the crayons.The wax will slowly begin to melt and drip down the canvas. Be sure to point the hairdryer’s air flow at the canvas in a downward angle—not straight on— to avoid unwanted splatters. (Be careful! Melted crayon wax can be hot to the touch.)
7. Continue melting the crayons until you have achieved the desired effect. Allow the wax to cool completely before handling the canvas. Your project is complete!
*For extra protection from splatters, place your project in a recycled cardboard box when melting the crayons.
**Crayons without the wrappers will melt more quickly and spread across a larger surface area. However, without wrappers crayons may not adhere as well to double-stick tape.