Make Your Own Drippy Meltdown Masterpieces!
Welcome to CRAYOLA MELTDOWN! Get the Crayola Meltdown Art Set for an all-in-one melted crayon art activity! Or, if you’d like to create melted crayon art with your own supplies follow the instructions below.
CAUTION: This activity involves melting Crayola Crayons. Melted crayon wax may be hot to the touch. Adult supervision is required. Not recommended for children younger than 8 years old.
1 canvas board
Recycled newspaper or drop cloth to protect work surface
Double-sided foam tape
Preparing Your Workspace
1. Find an appropriate workspace, preferably one where you can be a bit messy. Most garages or work rooms will do.
2. Set up near an electrical outlet as a handheld hairdryer is needed for this activity.
3. Cover your work surface with recycled newspaper, a paper bag or a drop cloth.*
Make a Meltdown Masterpiece!
4. Use double-sided foam tape to attach the Crayola Crayons to the canvas board.**
5. Prop up your canvas so that melting crayon wax drips down the canvas board.
6. Gently warm the crayons with the hairdryer held 1 to 3 inches away from the crayons.The wax will slowly begin to melt and drip down the canvas. Be sure to point the hairdryer’s air flow at the canvas in a downward angle—not straight on— to avoid unwanted splatters. (Be careful! Melted crayon wax can be hot to the touch.)
7. Continue melting the crayons until you have achieved the desired effect. Allow the wax to cool completely before handling the canvas. Your project is complete!
Tips, Tricks and Techniques
- Paint a background color on your canvas using a water-based paint. You can also paint additional elements like words and pictures. Allow paint to dry before melting crayons.
- Use tape or stickers to mask off any area you want to keep wax-free. Peel it off to reveal your design.
- Use a craft stick to move wax around for a textured effect.
- Break crayons into smaller pieces to create unique designs.
- Glue on googly eyes to make a melted alien or curious creature.
- Sprinkle glitter onto melted wax for sparkle and shine.
- Embellish pictures with pieces of newspaper and scrapbooking elements to create a multi-media collage.
- Create cool effects by melting the crayons in a variety of directions.
*For extra protection from splatters, place your project in a recycled cardboard box when melting the crayons.
**Crayons without the wrappers will melt more quickly and spread across a larger surface area. However, without wrappers crayons may not adhere as well to double-stick tape.