Attitude is a large part of getting kids excited about going back to school. Children look forward to seeing their friends from school and getting back into a regular “school routine.” Here are a few tips to help get your kids back in the habit:
- Practice getting up early about a week before school starts.
- Create excitement around organizing your kids’ homework area and purchasing new school supplies. Making back-to-school preparations special will help them transition from the carefree summer days.
- Talk to your kids about what they can expect during a typical school day. Sure it is exciting to go back to school the first day or two. But kids should also be prepared for the reality of waking up early, rushed mornings, the discipline of sitting at desks, and being responsible for getting work done.
- Prepare a list of favorite breakfast foods that are quick and easy to fix in the morning.
- Talk to your child about what kinds of healthy foods they can pick out during lunch time and how to spend their lunch money wisely.
- Select and lay out clothes the night before school starts.
- Establish an afternoon schedule that includes snack, homework, and personal time that kids can spend in their favorite ways.