We have some tips to help you get the very best results from your Crayon Melter. Follow the tips below. If you have additional questions, we would love to hear from you! Feel free to call or text us at 1-800-272-9652 weekdays between 9 AM and 4 PM Eastern Time. If you would prefer to send us an email, visit our contact us page.
Watch our Tips + Tricks video!
Before You Start:
- Plug the unit in before loading your crayons.
- Use Crayola regular, washable, or metallic crayons only.
- Remove the crayon label and break into at least 3 pieces (do not load more than a full crayon's worth of broken crayons).
- Wait for the unit light to turn from Red to Green. This should take about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
For Best Results:
- Use thick paper (construction paper), poster board or foam core. It's also great for decorating on cardboard, glass, wood, ceramics, or art canvases.
- Break crayons into small pieces. This will help with faster color change!
- Once a crayon is inserted in the unit, it takes about 30 seconds to 1 minute for the melted wax to be ready.
- Hold Crayon Melter unit straight up and down with the tip flat on the paper. Don’t forget to close the cap! Do not turn the unit upside down or lay it on its side.
- Plan ahead! Try using lighter colors before dark for easy color transitions.
- Regularly wipe Crayon Melter tip with paper towel to clear buildup.
- With a gentle, twisting motion, use the cleaning tool to remove hardened wax from the area at the top of the tube. DO NOT FORCE THE TOOL DOWN INTO THE TUBE.
- Clear out the Crayon Melter between colors by doodling on scrap paper until little or no color comes out.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- What types of crayons can be used in Crayon Melter?
Crayon Melter works best with unwrapped Crayola regular, washable, or metallic crayon pieces. Glitter or non-Crayola crayons may affect function and performance.
- Should I use full-size crayons or pieces of crayons in Crayon Melter?
For faster color change, use small pieces of crayons
- Why does it take so long for the unit to heat up?
The unit has been specially designed to heat at a slow and low temperature to ensure for a safe creative experience.
- How long does it take for the crayon pieces to melt in Crayon Melter?
It takes about 30 seconds to 1 minute to melt the crayon pieces, depending on their size. The bottom of the crayon will melt before the top.
- How do I hold Crayon Melter?
Hold Crayon Melter straight up and down with the tip flat on paper. Make sure the cap is closed. Do not turn upside down or lay on its side.
- Why are my colors melting and mixing together?
You may need to clean out Crayon Melter. Use scrap paper in between colors or the included cleaning tool once the wax has cooled.
- How do I clean the entire Crayon Melter?
Use scrap paper to clean between colors and regularly wipe the Melter tip with a paper towel to clear buildup. Once the wax has cooled, you can clean Crayon Melter using the included cleaning tool. DO NOT FORCE THE TOOL DOWN INTO THE TUBE.
- Why is Crayon Melter not working?
If it’s your first time using the device, make sure you:
- Plug in the unit to an active power outlet.
- Use Crayola regular, washable, or metallic crayon pieces—other brands, sizes, or types may not properly melt.
- Allow 30 seconds to 1 minute for melting time.
- Hold the unit straight up and down with the tip flat on paper.
If your Melter stopped working after previous use, try clearing it out with the included cleaning tool.